Sunday, September 16, 2007

T-Minus 180 + travel days + training days + ? = 227+????? days to go

The boys and I took Mike to the airport this morning. When I say "morning", I mean there were stars and zero-hint of daylight. He is off to his first training stop on the way to Iraq. For two months or more, we've tried to prepare for every possible event that might occur during this coming year. We've filled out pounds of adoption paperwork, just in case we need one particular form. Mike tried to prepare the kids for his departure. He said the one comment that really hurt was when Sean asked last night if he was going to be gone so long that he'd forget about us and what we looked like.

I don't take goodbye's very well. This was one of the worst. I think I'm almost proud of the fact that I think I brought two other people to tears with me. One was a complete stranger in the ladies room. The other, a mere acquaintance. The boys are handling this better than I am. I think mommy's tears instantly turn them into "make mommy happy" mode. It's so sweet to hear the same utterances of "it's okay", "he'll be home soon", "we can send him presents" whispered back to me by a little guy with a brave smile on his face but tears in his eyes.

So, here I sit. We've discussed house issues, tried to clear out paperwork that required Mike's input, washed every piece of uniform with the correct laundry soap, purchased the necessities for packing and the list goes on. Mike frantically tried to finish his masters degree papers before leaving, but he's probably typing right now while flying over Tennessee(?). So after all of the racing around, trying make sure everything that need to be said was, everything that needed a signature was signed and every favorite meal cooked.... now what?

We left the airport, stopped to spend our birthday Walmart gift cards on toys, and picked up donuts. But, now what? Lunches to prepare, poster for school to finish, etc.

T-minus 180 + travel days + training days + ? MINUS ABOUT FIVE MINUTES.

Life goes on...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot imagine how unbelievably tough this will be for you and your boys. Just know that when you need to vent you have the Uzbek group at your fingertips. Anything that we can do to make things even a little bit easier. My prayers will be with you and your family.
Brandy