Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Nichole - It's your fault! :)

Every time Mike and I debated a baby girl's name during pregnancy, we always ended up with the same middle name.... Nic(h)ole. So, we decided to give our new little girl this same middle name. Now the problem of spelling came up. Mike thought it was going to be spelled "Nicole" and I declared that we had always spelled it "Nichole". I stuck by my decision and said that Nicole just didn't look right, it was supposed to have an 'H' in it.

Then... I had to eat my words. I looked back at our e-mails from our last child naming discussions when I was pregnant with Jonathan. It turns out I had always spelled it 'Nicole' too. So, it's all NICHOLE's fault! :) She is another Uzbek PAP who I've corresponded and chatted with over the past eleven months. She spells her name with an 'H'.

So, (I'm sorry Nichole) after considering the fact that my husband will be spelling our daughter's name wrong for the remainder of her lifetime, we have decided to change the spelling back to "Nicole". It still does not quite look right to me, but it's better than having to correct my husband's spelling for the rest of eternity.

Besides, we already added an extra letter to her first name. The poor child might be in fifth grade before she learns how to write her full name. Sorry, but I can't share her first name publicly yet....

2 comments:

AhsMom said...

My daughter's middle name is Nichole, with the H. It is a more old fashioned spelling. When I gave the nurse the name in the hospital he told me I was spelling it wrong. I told him I would choose how to spell my daughters name thank you very much.

My husband and I are thinking of adopting from Uzbekistan, so I am glad I found your blog.

Nichole said...

Soooooo disappointing!!!! I can't believe you are taking the H out!!! What are you thinking?!? JUST KIDDING!!!! I am honored that you even considered putting the H in. It will give you a funny story to share with your daughter in the future! Let your husband know that the correct spelling of Nichole is with an H!