Saturday, May 19, 2007

In the beginning...

Every novel, research paper and even blog needs to begin with an introduction. So, here is ours. (Bear with me, I can occasionally be long-winded.)...

Who are we?

Mike and I met back in 1991 while we were both students at the Univ. of Nevada, Las Vegas. We dated for a long time (years...and years...and years...) and got married in December of 1997. During that span of time, we both graduated and Mike joined the military. Getting married meant selling my house and moving to follow Mike on his career. Currently we are living in West Central Texas in a town that we absolutely adore. During the past almost ten years of marriage we've added three wonderful, sweet, adorable sons to our family. Sean was born in 2000, Matthew in 2002 and Jonathan in 2005. (see picture)
Family tree seems to dictate that there are no biological little girls to be had. We agreed that Jonathan was going to be our last pregnancy. Back when we were still dating, I had asked Mike how many children he thought he might want to have. He replied, "zero to four". He said he wanted to be sure he left all options open. I thought our family was complete, but I still yearned for that little girl...

Thanksgiving 2006: We spent the holiday with dear friends of ours (Tom and Tanya). They sprung on us the news that they were talking about adopting a child. To me adoption had always been one of those things you read about, but doesn't ever happen to anyone you actually "know". Tanya showed me all of the documentation they'd received so far and filled me on a lot of the details of the process. Then that Sunday afternoon, we began the four hour drive home to our house. It turned out to be the first trip on "the Road to Uzbekistan". (<- in case you missed it, that's the title of the blog!!!!)




No comments: